Return to Headlines

November 22, 2019: Message from Superintendent Regarding Late Start Survey

November 22, 2019


Hello PHS Families!

Here is a little summary of the surveys on the 9:00AM start on Wednesday:

We had 1565 students respond; 130 teachers and staff respond; and 201 parents respond. Thank you for responding and for helping us get the responses!

The scale for scoring the average for the answers goes from 0 (the most negative choice) to 100 (the most positive choice). A score of 50 indicated a neutral opinion or that it had no impact or did not feel different than a regular-start day. Overall, students liked the 9:00AM start time the most (average of 62) and parents the least (average of 44). Teachers and staff were mostly neutral (score of 52). The highest score was from students, stating that they did get more sleep (score of 73).

For students: 15% think the current start time of 8:00AM is ideal; with the other 85% preferring a time at or after 8:30AM. The highest percentages were for 9:00AM (27%) and 8:30AM (25%).
For teachers: 25% think the current start time of 8:00AM is ideal, with the other 75% preferring a time at or after 8:30AM. The highest percentages were for 8:30AM (35%) and 9:00AM (23%)
For parents and families: 46% think the current start time of 8:00aM is ideal, with the other 54% preferring a start time at or after 8:30AM. The higher percentages were for 8:30AM (19%) and 9:00AM (18%).

On behalf of SuperSAC and myself, thank you for all of your flexibility and support in trying this out. We really appreciate it. The information will help us think through the possibilities and it also gave us insight into a lot of other factors that can cause a positive or negative impact.


Best,
Janet


Janet Schulze, Ed.D
Superintendent, Pittsburg Unified School District
Every Scholar, Every Day.
They deserve nothing less than our best.