Parent Workshops & Series
PARENT ENGAGEMENT / 2ND SEMESTER (January 2021-June 2021)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all parent workshops will be conducted via online platforms. Thank you for your understanding.
Summer Fun at the Library--Come and learn about what activities, program, & resources the library has to offer over the summer.
- Wednesday, May 12th, 3:30pm, English Session
- Tuesday, May 11th, 3:30pm, Spanish Session
- Via Zoom, Register at: https://forms.gle/mu9TxdbP7vS28a1p9
Immigration Forum--Come and learn about updates on DACA and Public Charge, receive free consultaions with an attorney on a limited basis. This is offered through a collaboration with Pittsburg Cares & Stand Together Contra Costa.
- Thursday, April 29th, 6pm-8pm
- Via Zoom, Meeting ID: 831 4804 4948, Passcode: 054525, To join: https://pittsburg-k12-ca-us.
zoom.us/j/83148044948?pwd= UUtrOEwxRm9hbkVFSzUzd1pva3ZNZz 09
The Effects of Marijuana on the Teen Brain--Learn about the impact that marijuana can have on the developing brain. This parent webinar is brought to you in collaboration with the Pittsburg, Bay Point Community Coalition. We will have one session in English and one session in Spanish.
Tuesday, April 27th, 6:00pm, in English, register at: https://forms.gle/D1ba3y1THL9Jwosp6
Thursday, April 29th, 3:00pm, in Spanish, register at: https://forms.gle/D1ba3y1THL9Jwosp6
Reading is FUN ! (Early Literacy Workshops)— Strong readers have greater academic success over their entire lifetime! Come join us for some fun reading strategies that you can explore at home with your young children. These workshops are designed for parents with children in preschool, TK, and Kindergarten. Come join us each Wednesday afternoon in March. Parents will receive a free book for each session they attend. These workshops are a collaboration between our Parent Engagement Department and First 5 of Contra Costa County. Each week will have a specific focus. Parents can register online at: https://forms.gle/u1gsFuThzKoSaanH7
- March 3rd, 3pm (Spanish), 6pm (English), building oral language
- March 10th , 3pm (Spanish), 6pm (English), alphabet awareness
- March 17th , 3pm (Spanish), 6pm (English), phonemic awareness
- March 24th, 3pm (Spanish), 6pm (English), concepts about print & reading fluency
Body Image and Eating Disorders in Young People: Promoting Positive Body Image and Healthy Eating, and When to Seek Help, Friday, March 19th, 9:30am-11:30am, English with Spanish translation
- Click the link to register: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/1516152280055/WN_jLpWKBGhRByuNAiHSi79zw
Come Read With Me ! (workshops for parent & student)--Tandem early literacy specialists will provide an interactive workshop for parent (caregiver) & child. These workshops are designed for parents with children in preschool, TK, and Kindergarten. Strong readers have greater academic success over their lifetime. Come join us each Wednesday afternoon in February. Parents will receive a free book for each session they attend. Each week will have a specific focus. Parents can register online at: https://forms.gle/6aGp7iK2DKUoKip98
- February 3rd, 3pm (Spanish), 4:30pm (English), alphabetic principle
- February 10th , 3pm (Spanish), 4:30pm (English), print awareness
- February 17th , 3pm (Spanish), 4:30pm (English), critical thinking
Staying Safe During COVID-19 & Vaccine Information—Come and join us for informational session with the most up-to-date information on how to keep your family safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. These workshops are offered through a partnership with La Clinica. Participants can register at: https://forms.gle/BkoKvYHYxTU1yXKR6
- Feb. 22nd, 6:30pm, English
- Feb. 22nd, 5pm, Spanish
- Feb. 26th, 10:00am, Spanish
- Feb. 26th, 11:30am, English
- March 1st, 5:00pm, Spanish
- March 1st, 6:30pm, English
- March 5th, 10:00am, Spanish
- March 5th, 11:30am, English
COVID-19 Vaccine Informational Workshop—Come and join us for an informational session with the most up-to-date information on the COVID-19 vaccine. These workshops are offered through a partnership with UCSF (University of California San Francisco). Participants can register at: https://forms.gle/147QFSr4eLzPUxk7A
- Thursday, February 25th, 5:00pm-5:30pm (Spanish)
- Thursday, February 25th, 6:30pm-7:00pm (English)
Positive Parenting Webinars (in English)—These 3 workshops are desgined for PUSD parents with children in junior high or high school (up to 17 years old). The workshops focus on raising responsible teenagers, developing self-discipline, establishing good routines, and keeping teenagers connected.
- Wednesday evenings, from 6pm-7:30pm, February 3rd through February 17th, facilitated in English, Register at: https://forms.gle/kxY1fGWM4hmFRbXR9
Coping With Grief & Loss--This workshops is brought to you by the district's Social and Emotional Learning Team. Due to the current pandemic, it is common to experience feelings of loss and/or grief. Come learn about what and how loss affects us, how even minor changes can lead to feelings of loss and grief, how to live and thrive in spite of fear, loss, and grief, and finally, tools your family can use to cope with loss and grief.
- Tuesday, Jan.12th, 4:30pm, English Session, Register at: https://forms.gle/12Sx8DnnrHKkoNTAA
- Thursday, Jan.14th, 4:30pm, Spanish Session, Register at: https://forms.gle/12Sx8DnnrHKkoNTAA
Tobacco Free in 2021--This webinar will focus on the tobacoo policy in Contra Costa County, California Smokers' Hotline Services, and resources for youth & adults. Lung health is important for our overall health, especially in our current COVID-19 pandemic. Come and join us. The webinar is free and all are encouraged to attend. This webinar is offered through the County Office of Education.
- Thursday, Jan. 21st, 5:30pm, English Session, Register at:https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tobacco-free-2021-new-year-new-laws-new-quitters-registration-133388631989
- Thursday, Jan. 21st, 5:30pm, Spanish Session, Register at:https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sin-tabaco-2021-ano-nuevo-nuevas-leyes-nuevos-exfumadores-registration-133412023955
Basic Computer Series--The 5-week course will cover how to become comfortable using a computer, learn basic computer skills, how to navigate the Internet effectively and safely, how to set up/reset an email account, how to create/name/save files, and how to work with attachments. Requirements for participants include: a computer with Internet access, full commitment to the 5 classes and a strong desire to learn. Each session is 2 hours long and is taught in English. Space is limited and registration is required. This series in in collaboration with our Pittsburg Adult Education Center. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Family members supporting PUSD students in Distance Learning are welcome to participate. Register at: https://forms.gle/PN5GX3PhbXaDqFwU8
- Cohort I: Monday afternoons, March 1st through March 29th, 2pm-4pm
- Cohort II: Friday mornings, March 5th through April 5th, 9am-11am
- Cohort III: Monday afternoons, April 19th through May 17th, 2pm-4pm
- Cohort IV: Friday mornings, April 23rd through May 21st, 9am-11am
Teen/Adolescent Triple P (Positive Parenting Program) / English Series—This 5-week series is for PUSD parents with children in junior high or high school (up to 17 years old). The program focuses on using positive discipline strategies, managing difficult behaviors, creating action plans for those difficult conversations with teens, fostering independence, and preparing your adolescent for adulthood. This series will discuss these topics in depth.
- Wednesday evenings, from 6pm-8pm, February 24th through March 24th, faciltated in English, Register: https://forms.gle/8hhgGn98ihwCEoSv9
Father Talk (Supporting Fathers & Father Figures) / English Series--This 8-week series is for PUSD fathers and father figures. The series is on Wednedsday evenings, from 6pm-8pm, April 14th through June 2nd, facilitated in English, Register:https://forms.gle/1AKiUz5LM9gxKHs56
- Session #1: The Individual—Having a child changes people’s perceptions of themselves and their relationships in ways that often need re-examination, reflection and re-adjustment.
- Session #2: Parent/Child Relationship—Involved fathers are important to their children’s development and health.
- Session #3: Co-Parenting—Identifying and strengthening positive qualities of the co-parenting relationship
- Session #4: Three generations of parenting styles—How childhood experiences influence what you want to repeat and what you want to do differently.
- Session #5: The Individual—The “spillover” of stresses/strains from work to family and family to work; ways of responding to and handling stress.
- Session #6: Parent/Child Relationship—Strengthening parenting skills
- Session #7: Co-parenting—The parents/guardians as a parenting team; division of parenting responsibilities and the ways that partners can support each other in their parenting roles.
- Session #8: Outside the Family—Your work & Community Agencies
Mentes Positivas (in Spanish)—The Mentes Positivas Series will help parent participants support a positive mental health for themselves and their families. Each participant will pick up tools to reduce their stress levels, specifically keeping in mind the current state of our country with the COVID-19 pandemic. The program is delivered through an 8-week series and each cohort will meet weekly via Zoom for a 2 hour session. The curriculum is taught in Spanish and is based on cognitive, behavioral therapy. Parents can register online at: https://forms.gle/fvaC4rYSGZ5qPzL59
Two cohorts starting the week of January 11th, 2020:
- Tuesdays, 11am-1pm, starting Jan. 12th, 8 sessions, (Cohort I)
- Wednesdays, 1pm-3pm, starting Jan. 13th, 8 sessions, (Cohort II)
Elementary Age Triple P (Positive Parenting Program in Spanish)—This 7-week series is for PUSD parents with children in elementary schools (up to 12 years old). The program focuses on using positive discipline strategies, managing challenging behaviors, teaching children problem resolution skills, and setting realistic expectations that work for your child & family. This series will be offered in Spanish. Parents can register online.
- Thursdays late afternoons, 3pm-5pm, January 28th through March 11th, facilitated in Spanish, Register at: https://forms.gle/5z7Eojr5yGQqsF9m9
Teen Triple P (Positive Parenting Program in Spanish)—This 7-week series is for PUSD parents with children in junior high or high school (up to 17 years old). The program focuses on using positive discipline strategies, managing challenging behaviors, creating action plans for those difficult conversations with teens, fostering independence, and preparing adolescents for adulthood.
- Tuesday evenings, 6pm-8pm, January 26th through March 9th, facilitated in Spanish, Register at: https://forms.gle/PtYptb2ZhYBKF3fN9