AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society. AVID is:
- A structured college preparatory system working directly with schools and districts
- A direct support structure for first generation college goers, grades 4-16 A structure for typically low income, underserved students
- A school wide approach to rigorous curriculum
- Teaches skills and behaviors for academic success
- Creates a positive peer group for students
- Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
Each AVID student for one period a day, they learn organization and study skills, work on critical thinking and asking probing questions, get academic help from peers, and participate in enrichment and motivational activities that make college seem attainable.
Each year the AVID program takes students on college tours to schools such as UC Berkeley, UC Davis, Sacramento State, and University of Pacific.
For more information please contact the AVID counselor Ms. Bonnie Ceballos.