STUDENT, STAFF AND PARENT RESPONSIBILITIES
Student and Staff Responsibilities
All students are required to pursue the prescribed course of study, to comply with the policies and rules of the school and the district, and to follow the directions of teachers and other staff while attending school or at school-related activities. The district adheres to the principle that the best discipline is self discipline.
All school personnel have the responsibility of fostering respect for authority and compliance with school and district policies. School staff members are responsible for maintaining a safe and orderly environment, and may take such disciplinary actions as are specified in the education code, school rules and district policies.
Parental rights are not unlimited. Parents do not have unlimited right to access public schools. They do not have the right to
- Abuse or intimidate school personnel;
- Disrupt classroom and/or school activities;
- Ignore school rules and/or district policies and procedures regarding access to school grounds.
Parents have the responsibility of developing in their children respect, courtesy, obedience to rightful authority, consideration for the rights of others and the desire to learn. They are encouraged to work cooperatively with the school in fostering these traits in their children.
Any person who willfully disturbs any public school or any public school meeting is guilty of a misdemeanor, and shall be punished by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500). Education Code 32210
Any parent whose conduct in a place where a school employee is required to be during the course of his/her duties "materially disrupts classwork or extracurricular activities or involves substantial disorder" is guilty of a misdemeanor. Education Code 44811
Any person who:
- Unlawfully fights within any building or upon the grounds of any school or challenges another person within any building or upon the grounds to fight,
- Maliciously and willfully disturbs another person within any of these buildings or upon the grounds by loud and unreasonable noise,
- Uses offensive words within any of these buildings or upon the grounds, which are inherently likely to provoke an immediate violent reaction is guilty of a misdemeanor. Penal Code 415.5