Phone: 925-473-2390 x7800
Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering Master’s degree in Civil Engineering Certifications: - Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) - Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) - A+ computer technician
Hi, I’m Romeo Simionas and I teach Computer Science.
I hold a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Civil Engineering from the Technical University Cluj-Napoca, Romania (in the heart of famous Transylvania).
After working for 10 years in my field of study, I received a scholarship from the Central European University in Budapest, Hungary that allowed me to study for a second Master’s degree in Environmental Sciences. In Budapest I was offered a second scholarship to participate in a six month research project at the Lawrence Berkeley National Labs at the UC Berkeley University. In Budapest and Berkeley I came into contact for the first time with personal computers and the Internet that were in their infancy at that time. I decided to learn everything that I could about computers and my journey started at a programming school in San Francisco.
After about one year of studying computer science, I specialized in programming using C and C++ and got my first programmer’s job with a software company in Fremont, CA.
My computer programmer journey lasted for nine years. During that time I also studied and worked with computer networks. I earned the following computer certifications:
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- A+ computer technician
After nine exciting years of working in the computer industry in Silicon Valley and after the collapse of the dot-com bubble, I decided to become a teacher and share my passion for computer science and extensive technical experience.
My teaching credentials are in Industrial and Technology Education and Mathematics. I’ve been teaching Computer Science at PHS since 2004. I introduced four new courses of study to our high school: Web Development, Designs for the Web, Exploring Computer Science and AP Computer Science A. I am currently working on a proposal for a new AP course: AP Computer Science Principles
Besides my regular teaching activities, I advise the SkillsUSA club. For more info about the SkillsUSA organization please visit www.skillsusa.org
We had remarkable achievements with this club:
- In 2015 my web design team (Ryan Parajas and Shudipto Rahman) won the CA SkillsUSA State Competition in San Diego and participated in the National SkillsUSA competition in Louisville, KY
- In 2016 we won the bronze medal in the same CA State competition. The team was Rahman Shudipto and Jamie Hake.
- In 2018 we won the bronze medal again with Armando Canas-Ramirez and Ana Guzman.
- 2019: our best year; we won both gold and bronze at the State conference and represented CA at national level again. Winning teams: Gold: Armando Canas-Ramirez and Ana Guzman. Bronze: Anthony Penate and Daryl Preston.
I have a strong passion for computer science and share it with my students. I believe that every student should be exposed to and try this exciting and amazing field of computer science.