Curriculum & Instruction
Common Core State Standards FAQs
- What are academic content standards?
- How were the Common Core State Standards developed?
- What was California’s adoption process?
- When do the new standards take effect?
- When should teachers begin teaching the Common Core State Standards?
- How will the State ensure full and equal implementation of the CCSS in every district?
- Will the CDE provide professional learning modules to support the transition to the CCSS?
- What funding can districts utilize for CCSS-related professional learning?
- Are there crosswalks to show the differences between the 1997 standards and the CCSS?
- Where can I find CCSS resources for teachers of English learners?
Curriculum Frameworks and Instructional Materials
- When will new curriculum frameworks in mathematics and reading/language arts be published?
- When will new instructional materials reflecting the CCSS be adopted?
- How much time will school districts have to buy the new instructional materials?
- How do the new standards affect the instructional materials sufficiency requirement?
- How can educators implement the CCSS without CCSS-aligned instructional materials?
- What if an LEA did not adopt the 2007 mathematics or 2008 reading/language arts instructional materials? How will they be able to bridge their materials to the CCSS?
- Will there be new CCSS-aligned assessments?
- Will the new CCSS tests include the additional California-added standards?
Career and College Readiness
- How will the CCSS affect institutions of higher education? Will there be an alignment of admission/graduation requirements or placement exams to the CCSS?
- How will the CCSS be integrated into Career Technical Education curriculum?