English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) Overview
What is ELAC?
Each California Public School from Kindergarten through grade 12, with 21 or more English learners must form a functional English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC). The ELAC is a committee for parents or other community members who want to advocate for English Learners.
How does ELAC help my student and me?
- The ELAC shall be responsible for advising the principal and staff on programs and services for English learners.
- The ELAC shall assist the school in the development of:
- The school's needs assessment.
- The school's annual language census.
- Ways to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.