Green Engineering Academy & Robotics (GEARS)
What is GEARS?
GEARS is a program designed to spark the interest of students who want to move into a career in science, technology, engineering or math (STEM).
How does GEARS help students?
- The students will earn how to develop their engineering, math, science and presentation skills
- Students and teachers will stay together for four years and build a supportive peer and family like environment
By the time a GEARS student graduates they will be able to:
- Use computers to draw in 2D and 3D
- Create animations
- Build small scale structures and models
- Program basic sensors, motors, and gear systems
- Draw circuit diagrams and calculate voltage, current, and amperage
- Research, design and produce product prototypes of their own creations
- Give public presentations
- And much more!
PLTW Scholars are students who successfully take at least three courses in the Engineering Pathway, specifically:
BOTH "Intro " Courses - Intro to Design AND Principles of Engineering
At least one "specialization" or "capstone" course their senior year.
Most of our Senior Scholar students take 4 PLTW classes - one every year. Some have taken just the 3, joining the pathway as a sophomore or later - but some have taken as many as 7!
These students earn certificates to use in their portfolio / resumes, as well as a medallion for graduation, plus access to scholarships available only to PLTW Scholars: See current Scholarships HERE!