• Parkside is a Title One school that receives part of its funding from the federal government.
• Parkside is a Quality Education Investment Act (QEIA) school. Parkside receives special funding to keep our class sizes small and to keep our staff highly qualified.
• Our Adopted Language Arts Program is McGraw Hill Treasures. This program is a California Standards based that assists us with teaching our children the proper and crucial standards for language arts.
• Writing is a major focus at Parkside Elementary. It is our belief that with a complete and competent writing program it assists our students in all areas of academics. Competent writing assists with reading comprehension, fluency, math skills and all other areas in academics.
• The main emphases at Parkside are language arts, Math, social studies music. PE, respectfulness, citizenship, science and the ability to succeed.
• When each child enters Parkside they are assessed. This information is used to inform us of your child's academic level. This allows the teacher to change instruction for each child; this includes extra help when needed and providing more challenging curriculum when needed.
• Parkside has three complete computer labs. These labs can hold a full class of students at one time.
• All classrooms have computers available for student use.
• Each classroom is equipped with a document camera and projector to assist with instruction. We have found that this technology really captures the students' interest.
Positive Incentives and goals:
• Parkside rewards responsible students with our "Independent Student" Program. If students follow a detailed rubric that gives points for responsibility and citizenship they recieve a lanyard and picture ID that will allow many special privileges throughout the school.
• Parkside Gotchas and Parkside Bucks are given to students who demonstrate responsibility. These rewards can be turned in for prizes once a week at our student store.
• Accelerated Reader gets kids excited about reading and math. When students have read a book or passed a math level on the computer they get recognition at our once a week flag salute and receive prizes.
• "Levelers" are awards given to every student that brings their math and language arts level up a level after each quarter assessment. These awards are given as badges that the students proudly wear.
• Class points are given for whole class positive behavior. These points are posted and one class from each grade level win a swim party at the end of the year. This establishes "teamwork" as working toward a common good.
• Safety is a priority at Parkside. Rules are in place that allows students to be respectful to one another and allow safe movement of all students during the course of the day. At the beginning of the year both students and families are made aware of these expectations.
• Parents are our number one ingredient for student and school success. We work closely with all care givers and invite our families to visit our school at anytime.
• Multicultural Nights allow families to share our wealth of cultures that represent our school. Our Multicultural Nights include food, presentations and performances.
• Academic Nights are scheduled to allow both teachers and parents to meet and share strategies to help their children at home.
• Parent conferences are a time set aside to for families to meet one-on-one with their child's teacher to discuss what is occurring at school. We encourage families to contact their child's teacher at any time to keep in contact throughout the year. Our successful students are the ones that their families are involved in their school life.