Inter-District Transfers Overview
Although students generally must attend school in the district where their residency has been established, the Governing Board recognizes justifiable reasons for occasional inter-district transfers.
Upon request, the Board may accept students from another district and may also allow students who live within the district to attend out-of-district schools.
Inter-district Transfers to leave PUSD will be accepted for processing on April 1st.
Entering Pittsburg Unified School District
Inter-district attendance transfers may be granted TO ENTER THE DISTRICT for the following reasons:
- Junior/Senior privilege.
- Student completing the highest grade in an elementary or junior high school.
- All required applications of law.
Parents have documented proof of an intended move.Special or unusual circumstances which make attendance of a student in school outside his/her area of residence NECESSARY.All students must have/maintain good grades (C average), 90% positive attendance, and good behavior. If it is a new request, proof of this requirement must be turned in to the Student Services Department.
- Work Related: Under Education Code 48204(f) An elementary school pupil, who has one or both parents or legal guardian, employed within the boundaries of that school district.
- Childcare: An elementary school pupil’s childcare is provided by an individual or childcare facility within the boundaries of the requested district.
Leaving Pittsburg Unified School District
Inter-district Transfers TO ANOTHER DISTRICT may be granted for the following reasons:
- Student has attended requested school in previous year and will complete the highest grade level offered at the requested school.
- No space exists in required grade level within the Pittsburg Unified School District.
- There is no space available in a class that is REQUIRED for graduation.
- Student is required to attend a Special Education program that is not currently offered in the Pittsburg Unified School District.
- Student has been attending another district for 3+ years, consecutively, under an approved inter-district transfer from the Pittsburg Unified School District.
- Student was in attendance at another public high school during the prior school year, and wishes to continue at that high school.
- Student is a kindergarten student and has licensed day care outside the district. These transfers will be approved for 1 year only.
You can click on Inter-district Transfer Request Form and return it to the Pittsburg Unified School District Administrative Building in April before the requested school year.
Office of Student Services
2000 Railroad Ave
Pittsburg, CA 94565
***Please bring work/childcare/current enrollment verification with you when submitting the form. Transfers will not be approved without proper verification.
Denial of Transfer Requests
The parent/guardian of a student who is denied a transfer requested pursuant to Education Code 46600-46611 shall receive timely notice, in accordance with the law, regarding the process for appeal to the County Board of Education. This notice shall be provided by the district denying the request, or in the absence of an agreement between the districts, by the district of residence.
Students who are under consideration for expulsion or who have been expelled may not appeal inter-district attendance denials or decisions while expulsion proceedings are pending, or during the term of the expulsion. Education Code 46601
Revocation of Agreements
- The district may revoke a student’s enrollment if he/she is recommended for expulsion pursuant to Education Code 48818.
- Revocation may occur if a student on an inter-district transfer has poor attendance, grades or discipline problems.
- A student on an inter-district permit will not be bumped for a resident after October 1 of the school year. The student may remain until the end of the school year, except for (1) and (2) above.
Guidelines for Inter-district Requests
- All requests for inter-district agreements shall be submitted to the Superintendent or Designee.
- If the request for an inter-district transfer is denied by the Pittsburg Unified School District Board of Education, the parents have the right to appeal the denial to the County Board of Education and this decision will be binding on both parties. During the appeal, students will remain at their current school.
- Inter-district transfers coming into the district may only occur when space is available.